+1 for further RE development!

ABL2 RE, ReDominator, ABL3 RE for Reason
DJMaytag

+1 for further RE development!

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:32 pm

I’ve gone full time to Reason since shortly after the announcement of VST’s for Reason, and I’m hoping to encourage some developers that it is indeed worthwhile to keep developing RE’s.

That said, there needs to be a compelling difference between an RE and the VST for it to be worthwhile. There’s a lot of RE’s that now make ZERO sense, such as high end compressor/limiters, some EQ’s, and RE instruments that don’t offer anything but audio output and basic CV/gate input. Anything over $100? Forget it. The Reason market isn’t likely to support that, but looking at the sales trends of various VST devs, $39 and under seems to be the biggest impulse-buy price point.

How does this relate to Audiorealism? Even though I don’t currently own any of your RE’s, I am planning to buy ABL3 next week for the simple reason of being able to use the CV/gate/accent outputs to control other Reason/RE devices. That’s a compelling difference with the VST, as VST’s can pass MIDI out.

If you don’t really want to continue to develop the ABL3 RE, maybe it might be worthwhile to take the sequencer and develop a Player device with the ABL Sequencer? Players are a popular tool right now, and there’s nothing that I’m aware of that offers accent/slides in a RE or Player sequencer. I’d definitely buy a ABL sequencer in RE or Player format!