This subforum needs more love

Rhino

This subforum needs more love

Post by Rhino » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Let me start with a question because I'm working on a new (and also bigger) skin for ABL Pro.

Diving into the factory skin file I noticed that the attenuators image (attenuator_switch.bmp) seem to indicate a hidden feature that has never been established.

Because of curiosity only, Mike: Am I right that you had further/additional plans or was it just an error? :)

Wibbles

Re: This subforum needs more love

Post by Wibbles » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi Rhino,

It's good to see somebody giving some attention to ABL Pro after all these years. :)

A few years back, I did some skins for ABL Pro - mainly just different graphics, but I shifted a couple of knobs around in the VCOs and made it deeper to accommodate bigger knobs in the attenuator row above the keyboard.

I noticed that there was quite a lot of "junk" in the skin file. Have you noticed the (-1,-1) offset? The plug-in seems to eat a bit of the background image. :?

The hours I spent fiddling around with this ...

... the sad thing is, I did it all with the demo version. Finances meant I never got the full version.
Cakewalk, Windows 7 64 bit.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi Wibbles,

thank you for the liveliness you add to this forum. :)

I don't think the skin file is junk. Imho everything is quite well documented which will help when it comes to actually press the design bits into a working GUI (expecting some trial and error, though).

Curious to see your skin(s) - if they didn't get lost during the years, of course.

Hopefully I'm able to show some previews soon. The main problem at the moment is to decide which look I want to go for... the opposite of a writer's block, so to speak. :-D

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi Rhino,

I didn't mean the skin definition file is junk. I meant there are quite a few lines (left as comment lines) that do nothing, such as the attenuators that you noticed, that could be deleted.

I still have the files for the skins I did somewhere and I'll let you have a link for them in due course. They're a bit rough around the edges, but I had fun doing them.

Due to a quirk in the ancient graphics program I used, all the skins use the same skin definition file - it's a matter of swapping the relevant graphics in the main skin folder. Attempts to write separate skin definition files for the different skins had bizarre results. Quite why this was is beyond me and I couldn't be bothered to use another graphics program.

The inverse writer's block is why I ended up with several different skins. :D Maybe I should have concentrated on making a better job of one instead of trying to do half a dozen at once. :oops:

I'm really looking forward to seeing your previews.

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:22 pm

... Rhino,

I may or may not have just sent you a PM.

I certainly composed one and hit submit but I'm not sure what happened to it after that. :?

Let me know whether you got it or not.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:25 pm

No PM in my box.

re. Junk: Sorry, my fault (and english skills). You're right.

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:44 pm

How about now?

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks, got it and replied. :)