AudioRealism Forum Index AudioRealism

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASM - very high on cpu usage??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel.b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: ASM - very high on cpu usage?? Reply with quote

Hello everyone @Audiorealism!

I've tested the demoversion, and I determined the ASM is very high on CPU usage. Seems to me a little bit strangely. Even with a Monopatch and only one opened ASM instance (and otherwise nothing) it requires 20% (in the no-load operation) to 100% of CPU usage. I use a Intel PIV 2.4GHz, RME Hammerfall and Cakewalk Sonar 5.

Is that correct, or is it something like a denormalisation bug? I didn't found a second VSTi with similar CPU usage...

Greetings Daniel
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

That sounds a bit much. ASM (or ABLPro then) was mostly developed on a P4 1.7GHz, and a mono patch would typically take 10-11% there. It was benchmarked against other virtual analogs in the same class released at the time (for example Minimonsta) and did not consume more CPU than those.

On a 3.2Ghz machine a mono voice takes about 5-7% CPU, and idle it should be no more than 1-2%.

More likely there is some kind of bug or incompatability going on. Have you tried messing around with the preference settings? Has you tried another host?

Best regards,

Mike
daniel.b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, i completly forgot this post. I didn't tested/used ABL Pro for about a year. But two weeks ago i fell in love again with ABL Pro, so I bought it last week... :)

My current setup is an Apple iMac - Intel CoreDuo 2.66Ghz CPU. I'm running WindowsXP SP3 and still Sonar5 on it - works excellent. But i have still strange cpu spikes. If i open and play a song with three instances (2xMono/1xpoly) my cpu usage is by about 17%. But now, if i open one of the ABL Pro GUIs the cpu usage is going from 40% to 100%.

I've installed the app Rainmeter to see the real cpu usage. If i play the same song, cpu usage moves between 6-11%. If i open one ABL GUI and twist the knobs the usage is going up between 22-29%, so maybe it is a Sonar5 problem? I can't hear it in sound, i have no crackles or anything else, so currently i'm simply ignore it. ;)

But it's still strange, i didn't found a second VSTi with similar problems...

Greets Daniel
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunaly its a side effect of the graphics framework its using (VSTGUI2), which has a rather odd event model designed in the mid 90's. So yes, it spikes the cpu, but it should not cause and adverse effects other than it blocks other apps in the event queue. ABLPro is also rather intense graphically but it runs quite smooth on my later machines (it was rather laggy on my old ibook g4 though!).

You might be able to get smoother cpu usage by turning patch cords off..

--Mike
daniel.b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i will try it!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: