AudioRealism Forum Index AudioRealism

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step buttons control with external device
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> User Community
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uber909

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Step buttons control with external device Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd like to know if it's possible to assign step buttons to an external device as a padkontrol to use it as a real drum machine (I mean inside ADM).

Is there a midi CC map (including step buttons), for programming the controller?

Thanks in advance.

Smile

PS: Is there an issue with the note off? (it sucks when pattern stops as you release key...)
uber909

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump Shocked
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. Probably will be able to assign stepbuttons to MIDI CC at some point, but no promises..!
--Mike
uber909

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Probably will be able to assign stepbuttons to MIDI CC

That's exactly what I mean! I'm sure everybody here would like to write (and play) pattern with a MIDI controller in the oldschool TR style...

Laughing
ekwipt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be great on something like the padkontrol with this step sequencing mod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGYOIA8ZDc
stepfrequencer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

++ I want this too. desperately. I will sell my soul for it.

I dont know why it hasn't been done on any drum machine emulator yet?

The most important thing with drum machine's to me is the 'feel' you get from using it.

At the moment I am using a custom max patch to sequence using my BCR2000 but it is buggy at best.

PS: Please if you do implement it, make it possible to assign generic CC's and not just Note numbers (which I see uTonic does for some of its parameters. . how strange??)
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stepfrequencer,

In ABL2 we added an elaborate scheme so that it is possible to map the step programming functions to MIDI keys. So far I have received very little feedback on this feature (in fact, I don't know if anyone is using it). Adding a similar feature to ADM is reasonable but I have to make sure people will use it first.

--Mike
stepfrequencer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded ABL2 demo,

just wondering if you can point me towards documentation for this step programming thing?

I guess I cant say whether or not people will use it if they have the possibility in ADM... Probably not.

The only reason I'm interested in it is because my main musical interest is in improvised live performance. . and everyone that does live laptop performances knows that the less you have to peer into your screen and fiddle with a mouse, the better. (unfortunately its not just about the music/aural experience... what I would give for an understanding crowd haha)

BTW, The D16 guys say it will be in their next update

so dont worry about implementing it I guess, since they will have us few who want it covered (although it would be nice to be able to do it with my own samples)
Sjoerd
ABL:er

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely would use MIDI control over the pattern sequencer!

I would like to make clear that what I want ADM to do is not so much MIDI control of entering steps in a linear step sequencer like ABL2 (well I don't object to a step sequencer like that at all, I'd probably like it and use it too - and yes I use ABL's step programming with MIDI keys sometimes...).

BUT what I really want - and I suspect other posters here are asking for too - is MIDI control of the 16 step buttons on screen (or even better: all 32), which would allow for non-linear editing of any of the pattern steps (of the currently selected drum 'channel') via MIDI. This is something quite different in terms of workflow imho, so I don't think it is very useful to compare it to ABL2's step sequencer when it comes to usability and/or expected usage. My guess is that it would be used much more by the average / typical user than ABL2's step sequencer via MIDI.

@stepfrequencer: I don't think it's strange to use MIDI notes for parameters with just one or two possible values, I think it is smart and efficient. It doesn't waste CC#, doesn't have trouble with 'smart' value interpolation routines, and it also needs to send less bytes through your (virtual) midi cables. BUT I would agree with you 100% that it would be very useful if you could also choose to use a CC# instead of a note, as it would expand compatibility with more types of controllers.

BTW: what's the current rate for a soul at the crossroads in your neighbourhood?
stepfrequencer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,
back when I was a kid I bought someones soul for $8,
I guess with inflation and such these days it would be about $100,000

Laughing

Quote:
BUT what I really want - and I suspect other posters here are asking for too - is MIDI control of the 16 step buttons on screen (or even better: all 32), which would allow for non-linear editing of any of the pattern steps (of the currently selected drum 'channel') via MIDI.

Yes, this is what I meant -

so that I have my controller in front of me and if i want a kick drum on step 5, I select kick drum, then press button 5 on my controller to switch on/off that step.
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, MIDI input to step programming is something we intended to do. Right now it comes down to how to squeeze it into the gui. My current suggestion is when Pattern Write is on then certain MIDI keys control the step programming instead of switching patterns.

--Mike
cnse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: One more vote of support Reply with quote

I'd be thrilled if notes could be used to turn individual steps on/off when in pattern write mode. It would really add to the ability to write/perform expressively. I've been using hardware and software for a really long time, and despite all my attempts to convince myself otherwise, there is a big difference between a physical control surface and a mouse.

CCs for this function would be cool too, though it seems like notes might be easier, and it would free up a lot of CCs/buttons on your control surface(s)

Thank you for your continued attention to the forums, and implementing features people ask for.
sunstillsings

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Hi Stepfrequencer,

In ABL2 we added an elaborate scheme so that it is possible to map the step programming functions to MIDI keys. So far I have received very little feedback on this feature (in fact, I don't know if anyone is using it). Adding a similar feature to ADM is reasonable but I have to make sure people will use it first.

--Mike

How do you do this?
1nfinitezer0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any update on how to step sequence using external hardware?
i love the accurate reproduction and portability of the ABL2 from the demo, but I'm unwilling to fork out such a high price unless there is some functionality for the grid controllers that are now available.

I figure I could reprogram 7uplive for the monome to this task quite easily, but without access to the steps in the program, it's better for me to continue using alternatives.
chris_in_london

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would be amazing. i've tried all the other ways to sequence drums in a DAW, but nothing beats the Roland TR style 1-button-per-step way of doing it.

i want this so much!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> User Community All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: