AudioRealism Forum Index AudioRealism

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inbuilt Piano Roll Editor

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkyGoldstein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Inbuilt Piano Roll Editor Reply with quote

Inbuilt Piano Roll Editor
Sjoerd
ABL:er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... not sure if I really like that. Any halfway decent host has a piano roll of course. It would possibly clutter up the GUI, and lead to more work (forward and backward) for skinning. But for the A 303 emulator should be kind of quirky to program (and preferably run on almost empty batteries for some evolving quasi-randomization -- I wonder if that could that be emulated... Mike?). Every (different) instrument 'asks' to be played in a (different) certain way.

For the ASM, where the emulation paradigm is more distantly related, I would see it more fit to experiment with such an expansion (at least at first), especially because it is also possible to play it in polyphonic mode). And because of the absence of skins (yeah why is that? note to self: I should mess with that one sometime...) it won't cause any trouble there either.
DrGonzo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huha... I am double on this one, but I think I essentially agree with Sjoerd. Mainly because it would clutter up the UI too much. Sometimes more features is not the key - sometimes the key lies in perfecting what you already got.

Although, the Spectralheads Silverbox (or whatever it's called) have a very cool step editor.

But to agree with Sjoerd once more. A more interesting development would be to take ABL in a direction where no other 303-clone have gone. Noise-emulation and batteries running low are two excellent ideas.
Stomper

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a click button that changes the GUI to the piano roll.
i was thinking more on an arpegiator style than a piano roll.
insted of going through the steps, a 32 step with one octave notes to make the patterns might make things a little quicker.
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to remind you that ABL2 has a note mode where you can use your host's piano roll to play ABL2 as a traditional midi device.

I don't really see the point of building a limited piano roll editor into ABL2, but if someone could enlighten me to why this would be good - please do so!

--Mike
Stomper

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not talking about piano roll for single notes.
im talking about a step sequencer to make patterns much faster.
if i have a step sequencer infront of me, and all the notes of each step, it will be faster and easier to make a pattern or edit notes in it.

theres nothing wrong with how it works now, i just think that with a sequencer workflow will be faster (at least for me Smile )
Sjoerd
ABL:er

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still don't make clear why the piano roll of a host is not good enough for that, but should be included inside the plugin. I think it is much more worthwhile to focus further development on drag & drop of MIDI files to/from the host. That way you could probably do what you want just as easy, and it would also enable many other workflow enhancements.
rhythmtechnologies

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i demo'd the silverbox and the only differance is that in cubase piano roll you draw the velocity for accents etc whereas in silverbox you click a button. seems like a pretty pointless addition.

p4 3ghz 3gig ram - cubase sx m-audio fast track ultra - macki hr824 monitors
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> Feature Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: