AudioRealism Forum Index AudioRealism

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knobs Assignation Difficulties

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uber909

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Knobs Assignation Difficulties Reply with quote

First post, so I'd like to say hello everybody...Very Happy

I'm using ABL AU for MacIntel.
Running OSX 10.4.7 with iMac DuoCore 1,83Ghz, HD 160Go, 1,5 Go Ram.
Host is Ableton Live 5.2
Controller is E-MU XBoard 25 (USB connected)
Soundcard Presonus Firebox

I can't assign ABL virtual knobs to the XBoard knobs by the ABL Learn mode.

I need to control 2 ABL with a specific Midi channel, as there's 16 knobs on the XBoard, the first 8 knobs are for the first ABL in one Midi channel, and the last 8 knobs for the second ABL in another Midi channel.

I've tried to program both the XBoard and Live, and that's OK, but... It's only working with the Monitor In, so I can't control the ABL knobs and listen to my clip(word which means 'pattern' in Ableton vocabulary) at the same time.
The only way is to play ABL patterns(I like it, but I'd prefer to have the choice... ).

A little precision... I can play ABL with the XBoard keyboard while I'm trying to use the Learn mode(LED is flashing), and Live recognize the XBoard knobs when I touch them (little LED signal...), but no ABL.

Thanks in advance to people who gives me a litlle help...
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick verfication that ABL 1.5 AU for MacIntel works properly with Live 5.2 in respect to MidiCC learn function. I had to enable Monitor In on the MIDI channel strip in Live for it to react to MidiCC.

ABL listens to all MIDI channels so you cannot assign the same knob to different channels, and since both ABL instances use the same MidiCC you cannot assign the second set of knobs to the different instance.

If anyone knows a workaround, feel free to post here. I would imagine there is a host MidiCC to parameter mapping in Live which could solve this problem. Hoffman2k?

/Mike
hoffman2k

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live 6 pretty much solves this problem.
You will be able to control any instance of ABL you click on, without having to "midi learn" or manually assign anything.

If you want to make use of ABL's own midi learn, then you need a second miditrack to feed the notes into ABL.
So you have your track with ABL on it that is set to "monitor in". And a second midi track which sends the notes to the track with ABL on it.
uber909

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to control several ABL units knobs via E-MU XBoard edit software.
You can assign a specific Midi channel per knob(great idea, isn't it?) inside of a patch, so all combinations are possible, just select XBoard in your track (Midi In) and the Midi channel.
You have to enter Midi CC values manually in the E-MU editor.

Very Happy
R.A.W.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uber909 wrote:
You can assign a specific Midi channel per knob...

same with the m-audio trigger finger, really handy that.

did you get it to work with the second midi-channel with the output to the midi-channels of your abl instances like hoffman2k stated?
http://www.bitmud.com
uber909

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
did you get it to work with the second midi-channel with the output to the midi-channels of your abl instances like hoffman2k stated?

Yes I did, it works perfectly, but you have to double each track and it's not fair if you want to see everything on screen during a live performance... except if you're using a 24" iMac !! Very Happy

BTW, thanx hoffman2k.

Waiting for Live 6...
uber909

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complete the last post, everything works fine except for the volume assignation (CC n°7), which control the fader of the track and not the ABL volume knob...
Maybe it's possible to change Live's default MIDI CC assignations ?
Any ideas...?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: