AudioRealism Forum Index AudioRealism

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FIXED: Hardware acceleration problem with ABL2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acid Head

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: FIXED: Hardware acceleration problem with ABL2.0 Reply with quote

Hello

I have been using your great ABL 2.0 software (Demo) but before I buy it... I have a problem. When I press the pattern play button it makes my screen go very laggy ( the level meters on cubase sx freeze for about a second) and then the Audio starts.
Also, when I try to control it via my midi keyboard, the knobs on the gui and all moving graphics like the mixer in cubase etc freeze for a couple of seconds and then catch up. Its a weird problem I know but one that will stop me from purchasing.

I know its not latency or my midi keyboard/pc etc cos everything else works just fine.

Well...I figured out whats causing this laggy bug but I still dont know why?.. its because the skin is now in .png format instead of .bmp??? it seems that when I delete just the Background2.png file from the "Beautiful screen" folder..the gui doesnt lag at all anymore because the background image isnt loaded? so its deffinately this 1 .png image thats causing the problem for me.

Im sure there are people who arent having this problem, its probably just me Confused ...but Id love to know why its doing this?

of course..I could always buy it , delete the .png image and use it just fine but then Id have a Vsti that looks like this Sad

Edit: Picture removed for thread sanity
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is quite possibly a bug which I will have a look at. If you contact me privately at support I can hook you up with a test version and we can see if this solves the bug.

--Mike

Last edited by audiorealism on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Acid Head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Ive emailed you Smile
Acid Head

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive tried the test version you sent me, but Im sorry to say that its still having the same problem Sad

Thankyou very much for trying though Very Happy
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACID HEAD: Please keep private conversations private.
globalgoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the same thing, I took out the background like acidhead said and the controls work fine.

abl2 seems to use almost twice the cpu as abl1 on my computer, should it be that much more?

EDIT: I'm using the demo version btw

EDIT2: it uses the same processing power with or without that background
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking into the bug currently.

It does take a bit more CPU (unless you switch the filter etc to the old mode), for example if it took 5% before it might take 7% now. If its taking more there might be a denormal issue, will have a look.
What are your system specs GlobalGoon?

--Mike
globalgoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows xp service pack 2
intel pentium m 1.73
1gb ram
live 6.03
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep your specs are close to Acid Head's. Most likely when I solve his problem yours will also be solved.
R.A.W.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing you could try is to set the hardware acceleration one step down.

it did help me cure this issue on one of my systems and it didn't impact other apps or the overall system performance
http://www.bitmud.com
audiorealism
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to fix unless I can figure out a way to reproduce it.
Acid Head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.A.W. wrote:
one thing you could try is to set the hardware acceleration one step down.

it did help me cure this issue on one of my systems and it didn't impact other apps or the overall system performance

Thats Awesome! it worked!

Thanks alot R.A.W for the suggestion, it seems obvious to me now, but I would never have thought of doing that. I wonder if its ok to just leave it that way permanently?
R.A.W.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acid Head wrote:
I wonder if its ok to just leave it that way permanently?

i have that setting now for quite some time on my old amd notebook which had that problem, i never experienced problems with the performance of the system or other apps using the lowered hw-acceleration.
tmm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, here´s a comparable problem.

First I noticed some audio lags that haven´t been there with ABL1.

Could nail it down to heavy CPU spikes of ABL2. If you look closer, it only happens at the start of each bar, when midi information is sent. The time position arrow in Cubase then also lags at the switch point between two bars for a while.
VST power increases from moderate 10 % to way over 40 %.
The windows system analyser shows the same picture. High CPU spikes, whenever Midi is sent. You can as well boost CPU power to over 80% with only one ABL2 running, whenever you manually send dense Midi data e.g. for controlling the knobs externally over Midi CC.

Interestingly I only got this kind of bug in pattern and host sequencer mode. When changing to internal or note mode, there where no CPU spikes at the beginning of each pattern bar.

I can rule out problems with the sequencer, because every other Plug In , including ABL1, is running fine. Also tried different latencies and Hyperthreading/On Off, no chance.

System :

Asus P4C800
Pentium 4 2.8GHz
2 Gig RAM Dual Channel
2x Seagate SATA HD
1x UAD
Windows XP
Cubase SL
Emu1820m

Apart from that, great sound and very nice pattern library Wink

The solution with the hardware acceleration, is that for the graphic card ?
Hm.. will try it, but hard to believe Wink

Greetings
tmm
R.A.W.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmm wrote:
The solution with the hardware acceleration, is that for the graphic card ?
Hm.. will try it, but hard to believe Wink

yes, it is the graphics hw acceleration. my guess is that the png-engine can cause some minor issues with older graphic-chips (like i had with my lappy). perhaps upgrading to the latest graphics-drivers could help as well (i had no chance, i have the latest which is from 2003 Wink).

but i think that the issues you describe are totally different from the ones Acid Head and i had, assuming that you got a newer machine with a newer graphics-chip. Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AudioRealism Forum Index -> Technical Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: